Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Fergie the unforgettable

Fergie left me last Sunday. She fought the good fight. She had irritated, delighted, angered, endeared and frustrated, but never bored me. She was not your average cat, and I miss her more than I ever thought possible.

When my son and daughter-in-law gave me this beauteous calico in 1992, my sister Doreen had named her Fergie because of her colouring and because she spent more time in the air than sleeping like any other self-respecting cat would do. Add to this an incorrigible need to explore and hind legs that would be the envy of any jack-rabbit. I could see the writing on the wall one day when, on my return from work, I found my TV face down on the floor and Fergie hiding under the bed. OK, so the TV was a little tippy, but still!

Then all set to watch my favourite series with a plate of boeuf bourguignon on my knee one evening (I must have been celebrating something), I noticed Fergie watching me intently on the other side of the room, some 6' away. Sorry, Fergie, this is mine. Supercat had other ideas - she flew through the air, landing on my dinner-plate and had hoovered up half of my beef before I knew what was going on.

The vet had described her as a classic hyperthyroidism. Once I knew this, it made her perpetual motion easier to understand, but didn't help when she'd leap up onto the counter, shove off lids, clean off butter knives, etc. The fastest tongue in the west. She had such a cosmopolitan appetite! Drop some Caesar croutons, bits of feta, artichoke dip or chopped-egg filling on the floor? Gone!

Maybe in another life she was an executive chef. Who knows? I jest of course, whatever it takes to get through this vacuum without her -

Sleep well, dear Ferg ......

4 comments:

  1. I did know exactly who you were when you left the lovely comment for me on my blog. Pets are our family, and it's the ability to love through all the trials that makes the love that much more deep and abiding. I am truly sorry for your loss, and think that perhaps somewhere a NEW gourmet is being born....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a truly lovely thing to say, Jennifer. Thank you. Tonight I shall sleep well too

    How nice to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She was something else! You have so many good memories of her :) She lived the good life and loved you very much. Remember that! xoxo Marieke

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm trying, Marieke. You've lost a pet, so you know. I could have been more patient with her, but I could not have loved her more -

    ReplyDelete