Thursday, August 26, 2010

moving right along here .....

Just a few more thoughts in passing. Getting ever more adventurous, I have been delving into my daughter's websites so full of beauty, both in thought and in image, that I'm struck anew with sadness that I'd used complacency with 'the old ways' to put off getting seriously into computers. Obviously they were not going to go away and I hated being left behind. My daughter was recruited, and the computer smarts of my son and daughter-in-law freely and regularly (sometimes hysterically) called on. I've only nudged the surface so far but already the rewards are inestimable.

And the word 'learn' especially is the key word here. I think my Moment of Truth hit me at about 70 - hey, I'm on the slippery slope down now, I have more past than future, and was promptly overcome with all I still had to do with what I had left.

Today computers, tomorrow the world! Or maybe I'll just have another stab at figuring out my cell-phone.

Now if I can only find a way to hang onto all the old comfortable ways, because that's who I really am, but still grapple and maybe learn from this cursed/addictive electronic age. So far, so good -

9 comments:

  1. I've always struggled with change. And I'm pretty young. But I like the idea that we can find beauty in everything, if only we do not allow ourselves to get stuck too much in the old ways.

    http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so interesting, isn't it -- the question about who we are and how we are (appropriately) the product of our times, and yet how we find our way amongst the inevitable change in life, in the world. I don't know if this observation seems useful, or not, but since I know your daughter's work I'd say that there's some degree to which the very life you led and the very way you raised your family resulted in her amazing artistic abilities/sensibilities, so there is some way in which your own vision gets carried out in her work. I think its always hard not to see opportunities that come up as the result of change and not pine for what might have been, had those resources been available for you -- but you're doing quite wonderful things here nonetheless so maybe you do need to give yourself more credit for being your comfortable self and still learning, growing, changing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your observations, wonderfully wise as always, were more than useful, Jennifer - they got me over my 'rough patch'. Sometimes - as mom was wont to say - 'we can't see the forest for the trees'. and we need another perspective to be able to see the big picture and our place within it.
    I just uploaded a photo of Lynn on my Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pickthorneelliott Jennifer. It's her birthday tomorrow (she was born on, what else?, Labour Day) so I'll be phoning her. With many many thanks again -

    ReplyDelete
  4. With my revised outlook, Jennifer, I made a few changes to my post which I think explains things better. The rewards I refer to include all the stunning photos of my daughter and her friends, the poetry, humour, the stories, and meeting people like you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wondering where you are and what you're up to these days; hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! I was so delighted to hear from you and have been wondering when you were heading off for your sun-filled adventure! Hope this reaches you in time. May your experiences be transformative, deeply beautiful, and connect you to new ideas and avenues. I will think of you in that warm, aroma-rich, flavorful country and will eagerly anticipate your stories upon your return! Enjoy, be safe, and be well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that I know I can comment, I'm looking forward to your next rambling. There so much more one can say on here than on Flickr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say! We are moving right along here, Mike. You figured it out a lot faster than I did. It's so long since I've posted anything, I can't even remember how to include a photo so it's 'back to the books' for me! Great to get your comment!

      Delete